Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Week 4 Photography 101 - Fill Flash

This weeks assignment is to learn how to effectively (or at all) use the fill flash function outside. I was supposed to use a human test subject for the back lit and the shadow fill in parts of the assignment but when I had willing subjects (thanks mum and dad) my brain was switched off and I had the flash set to normal so instead of filling in the shadows it was blowing the WHOLE picture to WAY overexposed. it took another trip to the park and a bit of an explore through the menu options after ruining several more quite good shots if you could actually see them of the boys at the park. So anyway this is Ted, my trusty helper of late. He has cool glass eyes that gets catch lights too so I have been using his a bit in my practicing!!

1. using the flash on a dull day to make the colours pop... I did do this part of the assignment but obviously haven't converted from RAW to JPEG so no photos as yet.

2. Use Fill flash to relive harsh shadows on a sunny day. Ted here helped with both a hat and that I had turned him away from the light in the shade but facing the light (open shade?) as you can see the flash did help to fill in those shadows under the brim and across his face, his fur is more evenly lit as well, the bright areas aren't as bad.

  shadow fill no fill 2

f2.8, 1/125, ISO100

 shadow fill no fill

f5, 1/100, ISO100, 50 mm

3. Use the flash to combat back lighting. I see that the BL sends most of Ted's face  into shadow and with the FF it is not so harsh and does help to even out the light so that it is more flattering to him! You can also see that he has some pinpoint catch lights in the flash - especially the bottom one!

back lit fill no fill 2

f2.8, 1/125, ISO100 50mm

back lit fill no fill

f2.8, 1/500, ISO100 50mm

2 comments made my day.:

Dee April 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

You can definitely see a difference in these photos. A lot less shadowing. Great examples!

Mrs. U April 17, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

These are GREAT! It's amazing what the fill flash can do!! Of course, I think all of your photos look fabulous anyway, but the fill flash did make a difference! :)

His,
Mrs. U

Labels

Blog Archive

Followers

Visitors

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP